Thursday, February 23, 2012

New Advisor Q&A: Tasha Cotter, College of Communications and Information Studies

What is your hometown?
Glasgow, KY

What is your educational background?
I started at Centre College, but transferred to UK for their phenomenal Creative Writing program. As a high school student I’d attended the Governor’s Schools for the Arts where I was taught by Frank X. Walker, Nikky Finney, and Crystal Wilkinson, and I really felt like UK was the place best suited for my interests. At UK I got involved with the Honors Program and studied abroad in France during the summer of 2005. I graduated in May 2006 with a degree in English Literature and a minor in International studies. In December 2010 I earned an MFA in Creative Writing from Eastern Kentucky University. 

What is your work history?
Prior to becoming an academic advisor for the College of Communications and Information Studies, I worked in Enrollment Management for three years. I took some time off to get my Masters and in 2011 I taught college composition.

What will you be doing in your new position? 
I work with freshmen pre-majors in the College of Communications and Information Studies. I also plan to assist Regina Francies, our recruitment and outreach coordinator, with the UK Preview Nights and recruitment efforts for our college, which I’m very excited about. 

Why did you want to be an advisor?
I really like working one on one with students. Advising is a great mix of teaching, counseling, and scheduling. I like the process of helping students navigate college and I love introducing them to new opportunities they may never have heard of. UK is a big place and it has something to offer everyone.

What is your favorite part of working with college students? 
They keep me on my toes and they crack me up! I like helping them zero in on their interests and natural abilities and getting them to think about future career possibilities. I attended UK and I’ve been associated with the university for a while now. I love locating resources that I know will benefit my advisees and helping them make the most of their college years.

What do you love about UK?  
I’m amazed by how the university is always changing and always improving, which is so important. I think that this place offers SO many dynamic opportunities for its faculty, staff, and students to take advantage of.  

No comments:

Post a Comment