Monday, February 27, 2012

New Advisor Q&A: Mike Rudolph, College of Arts and Sciences

What is your hometown?
I grew up in Bellbrook, Ohio – one of the many suburbs of Dayton.

What is your educational background?
I attended the University of the Cumberlands (formerly Cumberland College) in Williamsburg, KY where I earned a BS in Chemistry with a minor in Physics. After graduating from Cumberland I attended Indiana University Bloomington for graduate school, where I earned an MS in Nuclear Chemistry.

What is your work history?
In terms of relevant work history, I served as a Research Assistant and an Associate Instructor at Indiana University from 2008 to 2011 before taking my current position last July.

What will you be doing in your new position?
I currently advise undergraduate students in a number majors within the College of Arts & Sciences, including Math, Math Economics, Chemistry, Physics, and Geology.

Why did you want to be an advisor?
I have always enjoyed working with people, particularly undergraduate students. I came to a point in graduate school where I realized after having taught for several years that I enjoyed working with people to a much greater extent than I did working in the lab or analyzing data. While I was not looking to teach full time, I began looking for jobs in student affairs where I could interact with students on a daily basis.

What is your favorite part of working with college students?
My favorite part of working with college students is the unique challenge(s) each student presents. There are consistencies and patterns in the issues that students deal with, but each student is unique.  

What do you love about UK?  
More than anything I love the staff. Everyone I have met has been friendly and helpful and is genuinely concerned for the well-being of the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment